Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Days are Long

Remember Lee's favorite movie "Ground Hog Day," well living that movie is really getting old!
Now that Lee is feeling a little better, the 4 irregular shaped gray walls of this hospital room are begining to close in. I feel that Lee is becoming a little depressed. When you are sick, who cares where you sleep? When you feel a little better, but still not well, you are keenly aware how boring a hospital is.

Lee doesn't like TV, he won't listen to my Ipod music, you can only play cards for so long. By the way, he did beat me in one hand of Speed yesterday! This, I fear, will be the challenge for the rest of our treatment here, in or out of the hospital.

Lee's white blood cell count is 1.9 today, has been rising slowly, they say we can leave the hospital when he can swallow his pills and keep them down and eat at least 700 calories a day.
Yesterday he ate 155 calories, we have a way to go. He is receiving TPN (IV nutrition) His IV stand now has 3 double pumps and multiple bags of this and that.

Have any ideas for activities while in the hospital?

7 comments:

Anna said...

To help with the boredum mike and I and girls went and bought some fun stuff for you and dad. I am sending it on Monday to your apartment. So you know in a week you should get it :) I hope it helps bring some fun into your days ahead. We sure love you both.

Ellen and Doug Oba said...

Debbie, This is Ellen Oba. Books on tape or CD can be a great way to pass time. We do it on car trips and Doug would do it when he couldn't see well enough to read or watch TV/Movie. The hospital might have some- or the public library there would. We have some of the Harry Potter on cassette and I think one on CD. I'ld be glad to send them to you. I've also listened to The Lord of the Rings series on tape/CD- it lasts a long time!!

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

We are thinking we will go to the temple this weekend and drive down to visit you on Saturday. Does this work for you and I could bring hair stuff and maybe something to cheer up Lee if you have any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb. You've probably already thought of this, but you could read the Book of Mormon out loud to Lee. Even if it is hard for him to concentrate, the spirit of it might be comforting. Love ya, Sis.

Camy said...

Crochet!......I don't know if Lee would be interested or have the manual dexterity while not feeling too well, but I had a friend who's older brother was in the hospital for an extended time. His wife bought a book on crochet for herself and brought it with her. He watched her and got interested, thinking he wanted to have something to show for his time. I think it was "The Big Book of Crochet" or something like that. Anyway, they had several beautiful new blankets by the time he came home. We love and miss you, and you are in our prayers.

Watts said...

I don't have to many good ideas, you already read the Host, etc. But you could think of fun things to put in the remodeled house, or plan your next grand vacation. That is what I always do when I'm bored or have too much down time. I love you and will keep thinking.

Anonymous said...

This is Marta Taylor: I ditto the "Harry Potter" audio book idea. The guy that reads it is amazing! (I painted a whole house listening to them.) My dad really likes all the old radio shows, too, when he drives long distance. (The Lone Ranger, Sergeant Preston, Archie Andrews, Our Miss Brooks) You can usually get them at the public library.